Home » , » Registering For Baby

Registering For Baby

Written By Unknown on Thursday, March 13, 2014 | 6:53 AM

I'm really excited about today's post which is focused on registering for le bébé. 

The concept of registering was overwhelming to me. Super overwhelming. At least when I did it before our wedding, I had a pretty solid idea of what our basic kitchen and household necessities and desires were. This time around, the thought of monitors, pumps, and dancing musical toys made me break out into a cold, unattractive sweat. 

I did have a pretty winning support combo, though, which was:
+ A recent mama girlfriend who graciously gave me her time one afternoon
+ A pretty darn good checklist provided to me by Babies R Us


Although I did register at a small baby boutique here in Charlotte, I wanted to register at a large store that friends and family around the country would have access to. While I loved the fact that the 20% off Bed Bath & Beyond coupons can be used at Buy Buy Baby, I decided to go with Babies R Us just because they had more locations that were centralized around the parts I have loved ones in. So far, I've been really happy with registering there!

My girlfriend and I made our way around the store and she was able to give me lots of great advice ... lots of "skip that" (wipe warmer) and lots of "register for FOUR of those" (anything Aden + Anais, Soothies pacifiers, you get the drift). 

After I got home, I got out my checklist and iPad, and I looked at some other friends' registries which was very helpful in seeing must-haves that I may have missed. Blogs, too, were an awesome reference -- the baby necessities posts that I just skimmed over half-heartedly beforehand were now filled with amazing pearls of wisdom that I read every single word of!


So here are a few of the items that are on our registry. And let me just point out that sometimes the concept of registries skeeves me out (the whole "here is what you can buy me" thing just seems a little presumptuous), BUT what I've found is that a registry can be a fantastic organizational tool for mamas-to-be to collect a lot of information together about exactly what is needed when el bambino arrives. Because trust me ... there is a lot of STUFF. 

Here we go!

Sophie The Giraffe Teether
I actually registered for two of these due to some advice of my mama friends! Sophie is a cult classic. A toy that is actually so well-designed as an effective teething tool.

Vulli Sophie the Giraffe Teether - Vulli  - Babies"R"Us

Graco Sweet Slumber Sound Machine
I read about this on a blog. We needed a small sound machine for the room since our home is tiny and baby girl could be hearing lots of nearby noises during naps. This also has an MP3 plug so Ian can get her properly acquainted with music that he would like her to love one day. :)


Halo SleepSack Swaddle
Per the advice of my friend Dee, these are priceless at "zero dark thirty" (her words) when you want to swaddle the babe quickly, effortlessly, and painlessly and then shuffle back to bed. Hellooooo, velcro.


Aden + Anais Wearable Blanket
These wearable blankets are apparently awesome for the non-swaddle nights, and come on -- cute as can be. If Aden + Anais is good enough for Prince George, then I guess I'm on board, too.


Mamas & Papas Juice High Chair
I have to admit -- this choice was based 80% on aesthetics alone. It would look pretty sweet in our kitchen. My mama girlfriend gave her nod of approval on tray size and presumed ease of cleaning, too. Anyone have experience with this one? Or is there another one I should consider?


Crane Drop Shape Humidifier
Babies need moisture-filled air for good health (so I'm learning), and this one has excellent reviews and looks pretty sleek, too.

Sassy Sensory Gym
You'll see a note below about the toys that is the same way I feel about this item. But luckily, I think Sassy's version is the cutest, and while it is BRIGHT, it is not completely hideous. I'm a fan of the black & white stripes!

Mallory from Charming In Charlotte was the one who waxed poetic to me over brunch about the necessity and heavenliness of a rock and play! I had no idea these things existed, but she assured me that I should add it to my registry and never look back. And I've heard the very same thing from other moms!


'Nuff said.

Chicco Keyfit 30 - Solare
This is our carseat of choice. Lighter than some other models that we looked at, great safety ratings, gender-neutral, and easy on the eyes. 


Chicco Keyfit Caddy Infant Car Seat Carrier Stroller
... And this contraption allows you to snap that carseat right into it and run your errands! Smart! We also were generously given a navy BOB stroller (this one) which is a more agile stroller to be used in different situations.


Toys

Katie from In The Pink sent me a link to an amazing article (here) about toys needed for baby's first year. Before I read this, I hadn't registered for any toys. I basically thought -- I see those hideously colored and noisy devices at TJ Maxx and Marshalls all the time, I'll just snag some when she needs them. WELL. Reading that article changed my complete world and I began to see toys as powerful teaching tools for dexterity and coordination rather than just plastic noise-creaters. Here are a few of the toys that I registered for.

O'Ball Rattle
This is something that, to be honest, I'd probably never buy. But after reading about it, it went right on the registry.

O'Ball Rattle: Green -  Rhino Toys - Toys"R"Us

Lamaze Rainbow Rings
This stacking rings concept has been around forever ... well, I learned why! The article above has great things to say about stacking rings.


Sassy Ring O Links
And again -- a classic for a reason.


We have also been offered several other useful baby items that we can use on loan from friends -- a Bumbo seat, a baby bathtub, a bassinet on wheels, a bouncy chair, and a pack & play (or a playpen, as I've always called them). A definite upside of having great and supportive friends with older children!

One thing I haven't listed on here? The monitor situation.

We are really interested in the ability to view our bambina on video that we can access via iPhone apps. We have a monitor with this feature on our registry, but the so-so reviews have me questioning our choice. We are open to other methods, though, of reaching the same goal -- I've heard that an iPod Touch set up in the room will work as well?

If you have advice in this area, or opinions on any of the other items listed above, please know that I am all ears. Very, very eager to hear others' advice! 
Share this article :

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
 
Support : Copyright © 2014. Urok Raimu